Month of the Military Child
The events and celebration continue this week has we honor our military families. This week we have “Workout Wednesday” where parents and students have the opportunity to participate in an obstacle course and eat with their parents during lunch recess. The obstacle course is open to all students.Don’t Forget to wear your workout clothes on Wednesday!
In addition, we have been able to partner with a program called “United Through Reading” which offers military service members who are away from home the opportunity to be video-recorded reading storybooks to the children in their lives, creating positive emotional connection and a love of reading. We will be having the UTR organization record here at Camarena in the Media Center on Monday, April 16 and Thursday, April 19 from 10:25 am-12:45 p.m. Students will record a message to a military family member and receive an mp4 to give to their loved ones. This is open to all military students and families. If you would like to sign-up for a time slot, you can find the link to the post with all the information here.
This week we will be having our April ELAC meeting on Thursday, April 19 @ 8:30 a.m. in the multi-purpose room. The topic of the meeting will be end of the year testing and how to prepare your child for the assessment season. All parents are welcome to join the meeting, we look forward to seeing you on Thursday! We will be having Spanish and Korean translation available for the meeting.
We will be celebrating our 5th annual Earth Day celebration on Friday, April 20th from 8:30-12:30pm in the school garden. Teachers will bring their classes through various stations throughout the garden; each class will get approximately 30 minutes to learn about issues pertaining to wellness and environmental stewardship. These stations include composting demonstrations with the City of Chula Vista,Yoga demonstrations with Hapa Yoga,Trash to Treasures art contest, garden tours, stroke prevention with the American Heart Association, ambulance from American Medical Response, lacrosse with Coach Keith, rabbit care, watershed model–how to keep waterways clean–with Resource Conservation District. Friday can be very warm and sunny in the garden, so hats and sunscreen are suggested. Parents are welcome to join as well. We look forward to celebrating Earth Day with you all!
The Apex Fun Run is coming to Camarena! This event begins next week with an assembly for our students on Tuesday and concludes with the Fun Run on Thursday, April 26th. Please take a moment to read the attached letter to learn more details about the event, from how to help your child participate and raise funds for our PTA to how to volunteer to assist with this great event.
Snapshot of the Week
- Monday, April 16, 2018: Robo Rally (8:15 a.m.)/United Through Reading Records in Media Center/Fire Drill (1:30 p.m.)
- Tuesday, April 17, 2018: Matt Tessier Visits (8:30 a.m.)/Apex Assemblies/DAC/DELAC (12:00 p.m.)
- Wednesday, April 18, 2018:““Workout Wednesday” Spirit Day/ Obstacle Course during Lunch Recess/School Site Council in MPR (4:00 p.m.)/Coed Basketball Team vs. Tiffany Tigers @Tiffany Elementary(4:00 p.m.)/Boys Basketball Team vs. Salt Creek Mountain Lions at Salt Creek (4:00 p.m.)
- Thursday, April 19, 2018: ELAC Meeting in MPR (8:30 am.)/United Through Reading Records in Media Center/Coed Soccer Team vs. Casillas Comets @ Camarena Elementary (4:00 p.m.)
- Friday, April 20, 2018: Earth Day/Local Measures Training K-2 (1:30 p.m.)/Teacher Prep for 3rd-6th (1:30 p.m.)
- April 23: Local Measures Testing Begins
- April 24: Dr. Escobedo Visits
- April 24: PTA General Meeting
- April 26: APEX Fun Run
- April 30: Incoming Kinder Testing
- April 30-May 4: Teacher Appreciation Week
- May 7:CAASPP Testing Begins
Check-out our learning from last week!