Read Across America Week
This week is Read Across America Week! We will be celebrating Dr. Seuss’s birthday and the love of literacy with each of our spirit day. You can find the spirit days for this week here. Please note the Reading Fun the Sun event will be held on Thursday, March 1 @ 2:00 pm. All parents are welcome to come read with their child during this time.
Local Control Accountability Plan Input
Today is the last day to “share” your input on our district LCAP goals. If you did not receive the invitation email, you may go to the CVESD District Website (www.cvesd.org) and self-register. The star step begins March 2 and continues through March 16.
Additional School Funding
Have you completed the lunch application this year? We are working to ensure that all students that qualify have access to school meals at a free or reduced cost. Qualifying for free or reduced lunch can ease the financial burden that many of our families may be facing. In addition, Camarena may be eligible for additional funding to support our students! Schools with 35% of students qualifying for free or reduced lunch receive additional funding known as “Title 1”. As of February 15th, 30% of our students have qualified. Only 40% of our parents have completed the lunch application this year. Nearly 85% of all submitted applications have qualified this year! There is no income verification required. If we had approximately 55 more students qualify, we could be eligible for Title 1 funding. If you have not yet completed the lunch application, you can do it here or you can complete a paper application available in each classroom or in the main office. The class with the highest rate of completed applications by March 1st will receive a pizza party! One randomly selected family that completes the application by March 1st will win a beach prize pack courtesy of the PTA.
We will begin our ELPAC testing on Tuesday the 20th for our 3rd grade students. It is important that our students come to school well rested, well fed, and ready to do their best on these important exams. We know our English Learners are ready to show us all they know on the ELPAC!
Snapshot of the Week
- Monday, February 26, 2018: “Green Eggs & Hams” Spirit Day/Robo Rally (8:15 am)/ELPAC Testing for 3rd Grade Begins/Girls Basketball Team vs. Kellogg at Sweetwater High School (6:30 p.m.)
- Tuesday, February 27, 2018: “The Lorax” Spirit Day/Junior Coed Soccer Team vs. Eastlake Eagles @ Eastlake (4:00 pm)/PTA General Meeting & Board Elections (6:00 pm)
- Wednesday, February 28, 2018:“Wacky Wednesday” Spirit Day/Fourth Grade District Speech Contest/Coed Basketball Team vs. Parkview Panthers at Parkview (4:00 p.m.)/Boys Basketball Team vs. Hedenkamp Huskies at Hedenkamp (4:00 p.m.)
- Thursday, March 1, 2018: School:“Fun in the Sun” Spirit Day/Fifth Grade District Speech Contest/Weekly Walk to School at Morningstar & Winding Walk (7:50 am)/Site Council Meeting (3:00 pm)/ Coed Soccer Team vs. Salt Creek Mountain Lions at Salt Creek (4:00 p.m.)
- Friday, March 2, 2018: “Oh the Places You’ll Go!”Spirit Day/6th Grade District Speech Contest/Weekly Walk to School at Crossroads & Sweet Sage (7:50 a.m.)/Girls Basketball Team vs. Discovery Dragons at Camarena(3:45 p.m.)
- March 5: Weekly Walk to School at Guadalupe & Crossroads
- March 5: 2nd Grade ELPAC Testing
- March 5-March 9: Book Fair
- March 6: DAC/DELAC Meeting
- March 8: Parent Conferences Begin
- March 15: Variety Show
- March 16: Weekly Walk to School at Dragonfly & Exploration Falls
#Camlearns snapshots from the week!