Registration Day FAQ

The day of registration is now at our doorstep and many questions have come our way regarding this procedure.  Here is an attempt to get all the answers in one location.

Do I need to send my husband into the cold to camp out for a spot at Camarena?

NO! We are using a random lottery for all students enrolled by the end of the day on February 27.  There is no advantage to camping out.  You may see people camping out Tuesday night/Wednesday morning.  Rest assured those are Wolf Canyon parents who are still operating in a first come-first served procedure OR Camarena families who don’t read this website!!!

So, should I just show up at 8:00 AM and wait my turn?

Not unless you enjoy sitting in a school cafeteria on plastic chairs, updating your Facebook status until your thumbs bleed.  Please call 619-397-5494 today to get your appointment so that you can come in and be served in 30-45 minutes.

If my child is attending Wolf Canyon right now, or Eastlake, or Tiffany, or some other Chula Vista Elementary school, do I need to register my child on February 27th?

Absolutely Not.  Just turn in this handy Student Enrollment Form and you’re in! February 27th is for students who are entering Kindergarten or are new to the Chula Vista Elementary school District for 2013-14.

Student Enrollment Survey

Student Enrollment Survey SPANISH

You can turn these in at your home school or e-mail them to me at daniel.winters@cvesd.org

When will I know what my lottery number is?

All families will be notified of their lottery number by Friday March 8.

Where there be enough space for all Camarena resident families?

I guarantee that there will be enough space for EVERY Camarena family that chooses to come to their home school in 2013-14.  The District just decided to build out the third building which brings our total number of classes to *36.  Therefore, the lottery is actually a moot point in relation to getting a spot in the school.  The only actual purpose for the lottery is to give priority to placement of students in the Dual Immersion program that will be offered.

*Correction

Now that you mentioned it, what about Dual Immersion?

I thought you’d never ask! I made a whole post on Dual Immersion FAQ just for you.  Here’s where you can find it.

Dual Immersion FAQ

Will Camarena Elementary be accepting Zone Transfers?

The first priority is to make sure there is a seat for every family residing in the Camarena area.  Once those families are securely placed in classes, Zone Transfers (families living outside Camarena boundaries desiring to attend our school) will be considered on a first come-first served basis.

Please call 619-397-5494 or email me with any other great questions.

1. maguzma

Wow, another building. Maybe PTA will get their own room. 😉

2. Yadira

With the new building added, will the DI classes as well increase? Also, could you explain how the DI priority will work for those that we have an appt on Feb 27? Is it a chance that my child won’t get a spot in this program even though she’s in the priority list? Thanks,

1. danwinters12 (Post author)

DI is not based on building availability, but on family interest and the ability to have classes balanced by language. The lottery creates priority enrollment based on your number in the lottery, therefore there is the chance that some people that want Dual Immersion will not get it.

3. greg

I turned in the survey, but wanted to know if you could generate a list of students to confirm the schools receipt?

4. Wendy

I think I turned in a survey during the initial forum at Wolf Canyon, where we also brainstormed and gathered info on the qualities desired in a principal. Is this sufficient, or will I need to submit the enrollment survey attached to this memo?

5. Patty

What are the school hours for the new Camarena school?

1. danwinters12 (Post author)

8:15 – to 2:45

1. Patty

Thank you! Is there before and after school care? I know we discussed this in the first town hall, but I was wondering what the final decision was. Also, how can we get on the list for before and after school care?

2. Patty

Never mind, I just saw the answer to my question regarding before and after school care. Thanks again!

3. JSergio

This is very important information, can you post it on the main page as many other parents have been asking. I was told by the “rumor mill” it was 745-215, so this was a relief to see. Thanks.

6. Greg

Has there been a determination with regard to the DASH program?

7. Greg

Is there going to be a meeting for the GATE program for Camarena?

8. JSergio

I don’t think I ever got the survey turned in, but I’m in the district. Does this mean my kid will still be at Wolf Canyon next year? I read some of the paperwork that we didn’t have to do anything other than verify our address when asked.

1. danwinters12 (Post author)

All families need to do is send the Student Enrollment Survey with their intention to attend Camarena. It’s definitely not too late.

1. JC

I turned in a zone transfer form this week, based on all the comments above… I fear that we won’t get in. How long does the process take, and when do we find out?

1. danwinters12 (Post author)

Thank you for your interest in Camarena Elementary. At this time, all zone transfers are being denied until all the families that reside within the Camarena School boundaries are enrolled.