Dual Immersion: FAQ

Will Camarena Elementary offer a Dual Immersion Program?

Based on the interest from within the community, Camarena will definitely offer a Dual Immersion Program.

What grade levels will be able to access the Dual Immersion Program in 2013-14?

Kindergarten and 1st grade will be able to access a full Dual Immersion Program this coming school year.  Students in grades 2-6 who have not been in a Dual Immersion Program or who do not have grade level Spanish ability would not benefit from a Dual Immersion Program (according to the current model and its body of research).  Depending on funds, we can possibly offer language enrichment classes for these students.

What language(s) will be the focus of the Dual Immersion Program?

Spanish is the predominant language of most Dual Immersion Programs in San Diego County, in part because of our proximity to Mexico and the availability of credentialed teachers in Spanish.  However, other languages have been included in Dual Immersion Programs as a third language such as Japanese, Mandarin Chinese, and Tagalog.  The addition of a third language in an afternoon or after school program is possible, depending on funds and the availability of credentialed teachers.

What will be the Dual Immersion Model of Instruction at Camarena?

There are two primary models used for Dual Immersion.  They are the 90/10 model and the 50/50 model.  The Principal will make the final decision on the model after consultation with the school community to determine the goals of the families in Camarena and the program that best matches those goals.

How can I learn more about Dual Immersion?

Here are some websites and resources for further study so that you can be familiar with the available models:

Two Way Immersion: The Basics

Two Way Bilingual

Lengthy Review of Program Models

How does the lottery work?

Every student who is enrolled on February 27th will be placed in a random lottery to determine their priority for enrollment in the Dual Immersion Program.   Students enrolled after February 27th will be considered on a first come-first served basis.  Students who are currently in a Chula Vista Elementary School District Dual Immersion program who live within the  Camarena boundaries will be given priority for Dual Immersion at Camarena.  The classes are balanced by language so that there will be an equal number of spots for Spanish-speaking students and students whose primary langauge is other than Spanish.  We will assess students between registration day (February 27) and our decision on enrollment (Date TBA) to confirm Spanish language proficiency.  The reason for the language balance is because the program model relies on  students to serve as language models.  Thus, Spanish-speaking students are models of Spanish during Spanish instruction and English-speaking students are models of English during English instruction.

Please add more questions in the comments and I will gladly include those responses here.

1. Janeth

If a child is coming from a non-Chula Vista dual immersion program public school AND will live within Camarena boundaries by May, will they have some priority placement in Camarena Dual immersion program?

1. danwinters12 (Post author)

Students to be considered for the lottery must live in the Camarena area and register or turn in their intent to transfer from by February 27. All others will be considered on a first come-first served basis.

2. Sasha

Dr. Winters, in regards to the starting grade levels of my two children who will attend Camarena this new school year, it is my understanding that the Dual Immersion program will not be available to them? I know that a large percentage of Camarena students are coming from Wolf Canyon, where the DI program is not offered. I think that it is unfair to these students to not give them the opportunity to learn a second language based on the fact that they are not entering kindergarten or first grade. As you stated previously, according to the current models and body of research, students that are entering upper grades would not benefit. However, the DI program should be offered. Whether it is a full DI program or a spanish extension program. Parents should be allowed to make the choice if they would like their children in either of these programs, rather than base it on the body of research. This would give every student the same opportunity. Every individual is different and their learning abilities can vary.

1. danwinters12 (Post author)

Thanks for your question. Foreign language extension is a real possibility depending on interest, availability of credentialed teachers, and funding. I will gladly work with the Camarena community to create a program that meets the needs of our community given the available resources.

3. Ilana

I am inclined to agree with Sasha. I do understand that the current models are not designed that way, but what about a 50/50 model? Wouldn’t that give students an opportunity to learn a second language without affecting the first one? Just a thought.

1. danwinters12 (Post author)

We will definitely explore the benefits of the 50/50 and 90/10 models before proceeding.

4. Steve

Just to clarify if a student has been in Dual Immersion at Veterns and can show @nd grade level ability there will be Dual Immersion for them at Camarnea? Or will there only be Dual Immersion for Kinder and 1st Grade?

1. danwinters12 (Post author)

There is the possibility that we can have a fully Dual Immersion class in 2nd grade if we can fill a class with 1)students coming directly from a Dual Immersion program and 2) students who listen, speak, read, and write at beginning 2nd grade Spanish level. The interest is there so it will just be a matter of assessing these students in the spring to determine their Spanish level.

5. Enrique C.

Under “How does the lottery work” there it states:

Does this mean we should bring the student to orientation or there will be a separate assessment date?

1. danwinters12 (Post author)

We will set up a separate assessment date after registration.

6. Melissa

Dr. Winters, do you think you will have enough students to fill a 3rd grade DI class? My daughter is currently a 2nd grade zone transfer into Liberty, but I would like to see about the possibility of a zone transfer into Camarena. She has been in DI since kinder. I understand zone transfers have less priority than those within the boundaries BUT, I also understand a class needs to have qualified students and numbers as well. Please advise. Melissa.

1. danwinters12 (Post author)

Thanks for your question. At this time, we don’t appear to have enough Spanish speaking students to make a 3rd grade Dual Immersion program. We are considering offering Spanish Language extension classes in the afternoon, but that is clearly not the same as a full Dual Immersion program.

7. Pingback: Registration Day FAQ | Camarena Elementary School

8. chulavistaesd
  9. gen

Dr. Winters we are excited to have you as our childs Principal and look forward to meeting with you. I understand the need and want for all grades to be in the DIP, but even more so I feel the upper grades will benefit greatly. When our children get to 6th grade they are being prepared for middle school, in middle school they will have to take language courses. Wouldn’t this be a benefit for the children to know a language and have them prepared before they attend middle school. I feel all the parents here definitely want a DIP for all grades and I hope that we do find an answer soon. Thank you!

1. danwinters12 (Post author)

Thanks for your kind words and great questions. Please refer to the comments on this post on our website: Dual Immersion FAQ

10. Derrick

Dr. Winters, I wanted to clarify that I understand this correctly. Will DI be made mandatory for all Camarena students? If not, will my child be in a class integrated with DI students? Or will they be in a class with non-DI students? How does this work? Thanks =)

1. danwinters12 (Post author)

DI will not be mandatory
      DI students will not be in the same class with EO students
      I hope this clarifies.
      Cheers

11. DeliaV

Dr. Winters can you clarify for me whether I should be requesting a zone transfer for my daughter who will be in first grade this next school year for the DI program (at Camarena) now or should I wait for a later date? She currently attends a DI class in the school district but our home school (Olympic View)does not offer DI.

1. danwinters12 (Post author)

You should request the Zone Transfer now by turning in the paperwork at your home school (OLV). Those request will be considered one all of our Camarena resident families are enrolled.

12. Jennifer

Dr. Winters, I was unable to turn in my daughters packet on February 27th, but I did turn it in on the 28th. I’m interested in putting my daughter on the list for the Dual Immersion program…how do I put her on the interest list?

1. danwinters12 (Post author)

You just need to put her name in the survey on this website titled:
      Dual Immersion Interest Survey. Easy as that!
      Cheers

13. Ali

Do you know by now which model you will have for the dual immersion program? 90/10 or 50/50? ALso, is it too late to submit a zone transfer at this point? Is there even a possibility to get in on a zone transer now?

1. danwinters12 (Post author)

We will be using the 90/10 model. Zone transfers are most likely to be approved for grades 4-6.

14. Jen

Hello! Will there be a Dual Immersion Transitional Kinder class for the 2015/2016 school year? When do I need to register my Transitional Kindergartener? Will you be having orientation meetings? Thank you!!!

Greetings

The registration day will be in early March. You can expect more details on our website in January. It has yet to be determined if we will have a transitional kindergarten class in 2015-16.